It was really helpful to actually take part in some retrieval work as part of the inset, it helped to demonstrate its value! It was great to hear practical ideas, and ideas that were relevant to all year groups (including Early Years). Hearing examples of experiences was really helpful as was learning about the science behind cognitive function. The session moved at a good pace and Matt was really engaging. Morning challenges have now been adapted as a result. The session was very thought provoking and gave as ideas that are actually achievable and therefore didn't make us feel overwhelmed. It was delivered in an engaging and enthusiastic way that left us feeling inspired!
Retrieval – the act of active recall – is one of the most effective ways to improve the retention of knowledge. This course is a practical guide to what we mean by retrieval practice, the evidence that supports its use and 30 practical strategies that can be used in the classroom.
- Retrieval as a learning strategy
- Evidence informed teaching
- 40 practical classroom strategies.
Why this course is relevant or important:
According to leading cognitive scientists, learning is defined as ‘a change to long-term memory’; it is only the remembered curriculum that ultimately matters. As most teachers know, students often forget vital knowledge despite their best efforts to secure it. That’s where retrieval practice comes in: a wealth of evidence, gathered over 100 years of research, shows that using your memory shapes your memory; active recall is the best way to retain knowledge and easily find it again when needed.
Advance your understanding of:
- How learning happens and how retrieval practice enables better retention of knowledge
- The principles of effective retrieval practice
- The role of retrieval in metacognition
- The role of retrieval in successful schema building
- How retrieval in different contexts leads to a greater depth of knowledge
- How to adapt retrieval strategies for different ages of students.
- 10 key ‘checks’ for effective teaching using retrieval practice
- 40 practical strategies that can be implemented immediately.
Enquire about a consultant delivering this course to your school/cluster
* means required field
Pricing & Book
Course Price: Please contact us via the form below
We can come to your school or we can host a bespoke Zoom session with your organisation. Complete the enquiry form below and we'll get in touch to discuss your bespoke needs.